Sarah Ban Breathnach in her book Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy says that most of you feel more secure when we play it safe. She asks you to Start thinking of yourself as an artist and your life as a work in progress, works in progress are never perfect and changes can be made to the rough draft at anytime to enhance it. Art evolves, just like life. The beautiful authentic life you are creating for yourself and those you love is your art. Psychologists suggest that everyday you take a risk, one small or bold stroke that makes you feel great once you have done it. Everyday you’re given chances to embrace the new, with every choice, everyday, you are creating a unique work of art. Something that only you can do, after all the reason you were born was to leave your own indelible mark on your personal world. Each time you experience the new you become receptive to inspiration. Trust your instincts and respect your creative urges. Step out in faith and take a leap in the dark. Today accept that you are creating a work of art by making big and little choices between playing it safe and taking a risk. She offers a few small suggestions below to get you started:
- Wearing some beautiful coloured glass beads instead of your usual pearls
- Serving focaccia at dinner tonight instead of garlic bread
- Choosing a pair of floral socks that make your feet want to dance instead of the plain pair you automatically reach for.
- Trading in the headband for a short, sleek sophisticated cut that really feels right.
- Order an espresso at lunch if you’ve never tried one
- Visit the perfume counter and try new scents
- Stick a bottle of balsamic vinegar in the shopping cart to drizzle over melon
- Switch the dial on the radio station and listen to country & western instead of classical as you drive home.
- Dress in black, drink absinthe and line your eyes with kohl.
Now explore the following question in your Journals “What are the new and different things that you would like to do?
Also Annabel Langbein in her book A Free Range Life: Everything You Need For A Great Summer recommends the following New Years Resolution as one of her top twelve.
- Try something new everyday. Challenge yourself to sample a new food, recipe or activity at least once a week, you never know what you might discover. Take the scenic route to work, eat raw kina, take a Pilates class. If it frightens you, feel the fear & do it anyway.
I believe they can’t both be wrong, after all how boring and pointless would life be if everyday was the same and we never pushed ourselves to into having new experiences? Today I drove my husbands big truck to work for the first time, while listening to a very young hip radio station that I’d never heard before and after work I had a consult with a gorgeous young make-up artist and got myself a whole new look for work. I know none of these things were exactly life shattering but every stroke of the brush adds more colour to our lives no matter how big or small that stroke may be.