Trinny & Susannah in their book The Survival Guide: A Woman’s Secret Weapon For Getting Through The Year say that August is the time to think about getting more time out of your day by putting in place regular routines that will help you get out the door in 10 minutes. they say that in the morning there are any number of things that prevent you from making a speedy exit, this is their list to of things to do to help you get more time out of your day.
The night before checklist:
- Exfoliate & shave the night before so you only need a shower in the morning.
- Make sure your bag is filled & ready so you are not hunting around in the morning for your wallet & keys at the last minute
- Make sure you have passes for transport & coins for parking.
- Charge your mobile phone overnight
- Lay your clothes out the night before 7 if you still have kids at home make sure theirs are laid out too.
- Put lemon & water in a thermos ready for drinking while your getting ready in the morning.
- If your going somewhere new the next day, plot your route on your Navman
Once a month time savers
- Have a big cook up & freeze in portions for those emergency moments when you cant bear takeaways.
- Have your nails professionally tipped in polish to avoid chipped nail syndrome panic.
Every three months
- Put together lots of different outfits for various occasions using the clothes & accessories in your wardrobe. Polaroid yourself wearing them, then stick the photos inside your wardrobe door. This will make it easy to choose outfits when you haven’t got much time.
- Make a master list of what you need to stock up on for your kitchen & bathroom and replenish at the supermarket.
- Go to the bank & get $50 worth of $2 & $1 coins
- Have your eyelashes permed & dyed to save time taken up with eyelash curlers & mascara.
- If you spend hours straitening your hair with flat irons get it professionally straightened.
Dawna Morton in her book New Leaf New Life: How To Do Everything And Still Have Time For Yourself has put together the following list to help you save time in the morning so you can stay in bed longer or better still get up and enjoy those extra few minutes.
10 Ways to save time in the morning
- Wash your hair the night before
- Lay out your clothes for the next day before you undress the night before
- Don’t iron in the morning
- Get your breakfast things ready before you go to bed.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink from the night before
- Colour code your wardrobe, it really will help
- Organise your underwear drawer so that you can quickly find things
- Gather everything you need to take with you in one place
- Always keep your keys in the same place
- Do one job today that you have on your list to do tomorrow