Kim Carruthers in her book Less is More: How to De-clutter Your Life she says July is the perfect time to reassess your families goals.
Stop, take a breath and write down your goals for the second half of the year. The writing down of goals can have an almost magical effect of making them come true. It is an interesting exercise to do as a family, especially if one of the parents goals seemed to get subsumed in the name of family welfare. Doing it together helps you understand what the kids really want and lets the kids see that parents have needs too and it helps communicate with your partner about what really matters.
- Get a pen and a book and write down what your three most important goals are.
- Now write down why those goals matter to you.
- Write down how you will know when you have reached those goals.
- Write down three wonderful things that could happen when you reach those goals.
- Write down what you are going to do to achieve your goals.
- Now put dates in your diary when you will do those things.
- Find names and numbers of people you will need to contact to achieve your goals.
- Book appointments if needed.
- Also schedule into your diary 1 month from now a reward to enjoy for you progress you have made on your goals.