Trinny & Susannah in their book The Survival Guide: A Woman’s Secret Weapon For Getting Through The Year say that July is the time to think about the art of not looking your age by turning your mattress and getting those other occasional jobs done.
Camilla Morton in her book How To Walk In High Heels: The Girls Guide To Everything recommends the following jobs are done once a month
- Flip the mattress on your bed, manufactures recommend once a fortnight but you can ignore this, once a month should be ample to ensure the springs stay in shape.
- Go right to the bottom of your laundry bin & check that nothing is loitering there.
- Give your oven & microwave a wipe down inside & out.
- Ruthlessly eliminate any food in the fridge that is past its use by date
- Recycle any out of date magazines & old papers.
- Dance around with a feather duster & remove any cobwebs from ceilings & corners.
- Use some beeswax polish on your wooden furniture.
- Wipe & dust windows & window sills
- Hoover & sweep under sofas & beds.
Dawna Walter in her book New Leaf, New Life: How To Do Everything And Still Have Time For Yourself gives us the following lists of easy cleaning jobs that need doing six-monthly. Set aside a few hours on the weekend and only do one area of the house at a time. Start with the bedroom as this is where you need to relax at the end of the day.
- Turn your mattress
- Wash your mattress cover if you have one
- Change to a thinner or thicker duvet depending on the season
- Throw the windows wide open regardless of temperature.
- Edit your wardrobe & be honest
- Give to charity what you really don’t need.
- Get rid of old make-up & medicines all the hardware
- Make your tiles sparkle
- Wash or clean your curtains
- Clean the cupboards & shelves
- Dust all your CD’s & put them in alphabetical order
- Clean the television & stereo
- Rearrange the furnishings
- Ask someone else to clean the outside of the windows
- Defrost your freezer
- Clean out all of your cupboards
- Clean the areas that no one can see
- Throw things away
- Wash all of your glasses
- Have a big party
When you’ve finished treat yourself to a cup of coffee enjoyed in your favourite chair listening to your favourite music followed by a luxurious bubble bath.