Sarah Ban Breathnach in her book Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy suggests in July wearing red lipstick to help bring more harmony to your everyday life.
Trinny & Susannah in their book What Your Clothes Say About You: How To Look Different, Act Different And Feel Different remind us that in the evening you need to add some drama to your look. Red lipstick can be stunningly sexy if applied correctly. First apply a wax filler like Body Shops Wax Filler to reduce bleeding. With a rock steady hand take a lip pencil in an identical colour to your lipstick to outline the fullest shape of your lips without going outside your lip line. Finally apply the red with a lip brush. For extra staying power, blot your lips and then apply another layer. For a more sexy and less tarty look use a matt lipstick rather than a gloss. They recommend Tango Red Lipstick by Laura Mercier.
In their book Who Do You Want To Be Today: Be Inspired To Dress Differently they give us step by step instructions to achieve luscious bombshell red lips
- To make your lipstick last all day start with a good primer as a base (Chanel)
- Use a lip wax pencil around your lip line to stop any colour bleeding (Benefit)
- Use a small brush and dot concealer around the rim of your lips. Brush it in to smooth out the shape of your lips.
- Using a lip brush start painting in your cupids bow, then do the centre of your bottom lip and finally fill the colour in from the sides. Blot your lips with a tissue and repeat building the colour up in two, three or four layers. (Chanel or Mac)
And they teach us how to choose the right shade of red lipstick
Cool & Bright
- Hair: white blonde, ash brown, cool mid brown, dark brown, silver or salt & pepper (definitely not red, auburn, ginger or yellow)
- Skin: alabaster white, olive or black (no hint of red or freckles)
- Eyes: dark or have dark rim around iris
- Red lipstick shade: Fuchsia, Wine or Pillar Box (MAC)
- Hair: red, chestnut, auburn, ginger, strawberry blonde or yellowish grey
- Skin: Sallow or freckly (not dark)
- Eyes: pale blue, brown, hazel or dull green
- Red lipstick shade: Tomato or Brick (Mac)
- Hair: dark blonde, mouse brown, mid brown, mid auburn or dull grey
- Skin: blue undertones, pale & washed out or peaches & cream
- Eyes: green, aqua or blue.
- Red lipstick shade: Fuchsia or Pillar Box (MAC)