Trinny & Susannah in their book The Survival Guide: A woman’s Secret Weapon For Getting Through The Year say that June is the time to think about being happy, healthy & wise by learning to stabilise energy levels, correct imbalances & conquer PMT. The best way to do this is to live a simple life where there is a balance of fresh home cooked food, physical exertion, a well occupied mind and the support of a loving family. For some slightly more proactive tips from Trinny and Susannah that you can control see below.
- Eat 3 moderate meals a day with two protein snacks such as nuts or a hard boiled egg.
- Vary your diet by making sure each meal contains about 50% protein, 30% vegetable (not potatoes) & 20& carbohydrates (this includes fruit)
- Eat regularly & don’t skip meals which can leave you prone to mood swings including anger, aggression, irritability, over sensitivity, weepiness & a feeling of vulnerability.
- If you cant fit in a meal have one of the following snacks instead: yoghurt smoothie, hummus or peanut butter on a rice cake, tinned fish on rice crackers or a soya protein drink.
- Avoid & stay away from refined carbohydrates, wheat products & salty foods which can depress the metabolism, create bloating & water retention, cause fuzzy headedness, constipation, mood swings, muscle soreness, weight gain & skin problems.
Beat Fluctuating Energy Levels
- Avoid refined carbohydrates
- Don’t skip meals
- Limit coffee, tea & soft drinks
- Don’t smoke
- Drink a tea made of green tea, rosehips & dried rose flowers.
- Take a 3 gram Omega 3 fish oil supplement daily
- Take a daily multivitamin that contains iron glycinate, magnesium, vitamin E & 100mg of vitamin B6
- Take 4000mg of evening primrose oil daily
- Take a daily 1000mg vitamin C supplement with your evening meal
- From the age of 40 take a daily digestive aid containing Betaine Hydrochloride
Help Correct Imbalances
- Relax by taking 20 minutes in the middle of the day to lie down & listen to a calming hypnotherapy CD
- Have regular chiropractic adjustments 4 times a year to spine flexible & allow free circulation around nerves & blood vessels.
- Attend regular Yoga & Pilates classes for muscle strength, flexibility, balance & calm.
- Look at having Colon Hydrotherapy treatments twice a year.
Alternative Ways To Keep Your Colon Clean and Healthy
- Take a probiotic capsule every morning
- Drink a glass of warm water with the juice of 1 lemon in it every morning
- Have 1/2 a tsp. of barley grass powder in water daily
- Eat bran regularly
- Eat an apple a day
- Eat steamed broccoli with olive oil & garlic regularly
Dealing With Period Pain
- Wrap up warm & place an ice pack across the lower back for 15 minutes
- Gentle exercise