There are lots of deep and meaningful things written on the subject of being happy and the life pursuit of happiness but today I just want to focus on the simple little things we can give ourselves that bring a smile to our face and a moments happiness.
Lisa O’Neill in her book Look Gorgeous, Be Happy: What A Woman Wants talks about the importance of being filled with happiness because she believes that their are huge benefits when women are happy . She believes that happy women are filled with loving feelings of joy, bliss, trust, enthusiasm, optimism & acceptance. While she believes unhappy women are infected with fearful feelings, that they feel anxious, angry, impatient, envious & critical.
She suggest that to help move yourself away from unhappiness towards happiness you should start with a unhappiness detox of sorts. She recommends limiting the negativity you put in by;
- Limiting time spent with people who moan or revel in gossip or drama
- Stop watching cop shows on TV about bad people doing bad things.
- Stop reading murder novels
- Monitor & limit your news media exposure including newspapers to enough to know what’s going on without knowing the gruesome details.
- Not reading gossip magazines who’s negative & sensationalist stories can destroy lives & careers
- And last but not least, making sure you don’t spend your family dinners discussing any of the above.
Now that you are limiting some of the negative influences on your mood time to start increasing some of the positive like:
- Reading uplifting books, watching funny TV & enjoying comedy movies
- Hanging out with happy people who lift your mood
- Having flowers in the house, it tells you that you either, had enough time to pick them, made enough money to buy them or did something wonderful enough to be sent them.
She also shares her list of things in her life that make her happy
- Handmade Chocolates
- Good espresso coffee
- Bright lipstick
- 1950’s everything from dresses to vases
- Bows on anything
- Boxes, fancy, plain empty etc.
- Crocheted rugs
- Tulips & Dahlias
Happy movie list in case you need some inspiration
- Pretty Woman
- Mr Magorium’s Wonder Emporium
- Love Actually
Happy songs for when you are in a bad mood and need a quick lift
- I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas
- Beautiful by Carole King
- Top of The World by The Carpenters
- Smile by Lily Allen
- Never Knew Love Like This Before by Marcia Hines
- I got You (I Feel Good) by James Brown
- I’m Too Sexy by Right Said Fred
- Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
- Lucky by Colbie Caillat & Jason Mraz