In my experience there are not many moods that can’t in some be improved even slightly by a good walk and a hot bath and to do it well is to indulge in extreme self-care to the level of an art form. Creating the perfect environment for relaxation.
Sarah Ban Breathnach in her book Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy she gives very precise instructions for setting the scene for her idea of the perfect bath. Start by closing the door, running the taps, adding salts, oils & bubbles, laying out fluffy towels, tying your hair back, lighting scented candles, playing some classical music, finally slipping into the water to enjoy a good book & a glass of wine or sparkling blackberry or peach mineral water. She also suggest creating a mother’s day wish list of bath time accessories that includes the following.
- A long necked scrub brush
- Natural sponges
- Scrub Mitts
- An inflatable pillow
- A bath tray
- Rose scented bubble bath (for when your feeling a bit angry or lonely)
- Some lavender (feeling a bit sad or frightened), and some peppermint (feeling confused) Aromatherapy bath salts
- Essential oils
- Bath milks
- Cellulite body massager
- A mud pack face mask
- A hot oil hair treatment
- Seaweed body smoother
- Johnsons Baby Talcum powder
- Oversized bath towels
- An oversized terry cloth robe with a hood
- A magnifying mirror
- Manicure & pedicure set
- Waxing kit
Dawna Walter in her book New Leaf, New Life: How To Do Everything And Still Have Time For Yourself she says that for the most relaxing night in the world, really treat yourself to an indulgent bath. She says to get all your favourite scented products. Take your time. Splash around. She also gives us the following list of practical recommendations.
10 ways to have a luxurious bath:
- Set an indulgent mood before you bathe by lighting a scented candle
- Use scented bubble bath & have a giggle in a bath full of fragrant bubbles
- Dead sea salts relax stiff muscles & calm & soothe the soul
- Treat your feet to a pumice foot scrub once a week to keep them soft
- Get rid of all your skins debris & get your circulation moving with a good exfoliating brush
- Give yourself a natural glow with a soft skin-polishing mitt.
- Make sure you have really big freshly laundered towels on a heated towel rail ready to go
- Moisturise all over with scented body lotion
- Apply facial moisturiser & allow to soak in
- Apply talcum powder with a big fluffy puff